Wednesday, June 15, 2011

masters: caspar david friedrich

This artist I want to talk about is someone I regard with infinite esteem. My room is covered with his pictures which are (and always have been) to me an immense source of inspiration. This person is Caspar David Friedrich, a Romantic german painter of the 19th century. Each of his paintings is like a different fairy tale to get into and a different world to fly over. They may seem similar but if you look closer, you will find what I mean :)
The Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (Il Viandante sul Mare di Nebbia) is the most famous of his works and perhaps the symbol of the entire Romantic movement but, although I love them all, my favourite is the one here below: The Tree of Crows (l'Albero dei Corvi), 1822. Click to enlarge to catch the details, which are the thing that make it so special. You, readers from Paris, go to see it at The Louvre Museum: I'd go back there right now, if I could :)

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! I didn't see iiiit! I love this painting too and close to me there is a very similar tree always full of crows... must be something typical German...

    ReplyDelete
  2. take a photo! I want to see it :)))))

    ReplyDelete