Tuesday, March 8, 2011

masters: ilya repin

I never heard about Ilya Repin until I stumbled into this wonder here, a few months ago. Its title is Sadko in the underwater kingdom and it was painted in 1876. Love at first sight! Sadko is a russian epic about a merchant's adventure into the sea. I love how Ilya Repin can impressively render the atmosphere by the light, both in this and in his other artworks. He lived at the turn of the 19th and the 20th century, where cameras were quite rudimentary and you could not afford the luxury of copying a photograph: everything was extemporaneous and the only photo you had was in your head. So simple as to seem magic.
In a few days after I found it, this masterpiece has been framed and hung on my bathroom's wall :)
It lives at the State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment